There are two types of permits: temporary permit and the State Fair temporary permit. All applicants must file an application with the Director at least 14 days before the event. Applications received less than 14 days in advance of the event may be rejected.
There are four event types that require a temporary permit: on-premise, special event, charitable auction and porcelain container.
Temporary permits may be issued to organizations or individuals to sell and serve alcoholic liquor for consumption on unlicensed premises that are open to the public provided the premise is located in a "wet" county.
These temporary permits may not exceed three consecutive days and no more than four temporary permits can be issued to any organization or person in a calendar year.
Temporary permits may be issued to organizations or individuals to sell liquor by the drink to be consumed on public streets, alleys, roads, sidewalks, or highways when a special event has been approved by the local governing body. A copy of the city ordinance or county resolution must be submitted with the temporary permit application.
These temporary permits may not be issued for longer than the duration of the event or longer than 30 days, subject to approval by the Director.
No more than four temporary permits shall be issued to any organization or individual in a calendar year.
These temporary permits may be issued to one or more charitable organizations for the sale of alcoholic liquor at an auction.
These temporary permits may not exceed three consecutive days and no more than one a year.
These temporary permits may be issued to an individual for the sale of one or more limited issue porcelain containers of alcoholic liquor.
Only one temporary permit shall be issued to any individual in a calendar year.
State Fair Temporary Permit:
Only one temporary permit may be issued to a person or entity for each annual Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson. The permit shall be valid for the entire period of the state fair and allows the sale of wine in the unopened, original container and the sale and serving of individual drinks of wine and/or beer at a location on the state fair ground designated by the State Fair Board.
Activities Exempt from Obtaining a Temporary Permit:
- The alcoholic drinks served must be complimentary.
- The event at which the alcoholic liquor is served must be an official fundraising event of the organization or the event must be sponsored by either a charitable organization or by a candidate, party or political committee.
- Non-licensed businesses may serve free alcoholic liquor to members of the general public during events sponsored by a non-profit organization supporting the arts if the event is approved by the local government. The ABC Director must be notified at least 10 days prior to the scheduled event by completing and submitting the Notification of Non-Profit Organization Event Promoting the Arts (ABC-865).
I Want To:
- Notification of Non-Profit Organization Event Promoting the Arts (ABC-865)
- Request to Temporarily Surrender License (ABC-843)
If you have questions or need assistance, visit our Contact Us page to locate your assigned Licensing Representative.