Titling a New Vehicle
Application for certificate of title and registration must be made through the County Treasurer's Office in the county in which the vehicle is garaged. To avoid penalty, vehicle registration must be made within 60 days from vehicle purchase.
Required vehicle information to be presented to County Treasurer's Office:
- Properly signed and notarized manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO).
- Odometer Disclosure Statement must be completed if MSO is non-conforming. (Vehicles 10 years old or older and trucks registered at 20M or higher are exempt. A mileage reading will still be required.)
- One of the following must be presented as proof of insurance:
- Certificate of insurance (policy)
- Insurance card issued by an insurance company (notice of policy renewal NOT acceptable)
- Certificate of self-insurance issued by the Insurance Commisioner
- Binder of insurance
- Motor carrier ID number issued by the state corporation commission
- A fleet policy
- A commercial policy
- Proof of insurance must exhibit the policy's expiration date. Originals, photocopies and facsimilies of these documents are acceptable.
- Sales Tax receipt if vehicle is purchased from a dealer (if not, sales tax must be paid).
- Property Tax must be paid at time of registration/title application for autos, light trucks and recreational vehicles. Heavy Trucks, Trailers and Motorbikes must show proof of payment of personal property taxes.
- The new owner must sign the title application. Names connected by "and/or" or "or" will require only one owner's signature. Names connected by "and" or with no connection between names will require all parties to sign application.
- Form TR-127 may be attached to an MSO when dealer assignment.
Transfer of License Tag
- Title forms as above.
- Current registration receipt. (If not available, license number plus a fee for duplicate registration.)
- Previous vehicle must be disposed of prior to the new purchase or sold or traded within 30 days after the new purchase.
- Name of buyer and sale date of previous vehicle.
- Assignment of name on new title must match name on previous vehicle registration.
The above may not cover all situations. Other circumstances may cause the necessity for additional documents. Contact your local County Treasurer's Office for further information.