Driver's License Proof of Identity
Are you getting a Kansas driver’s license, (DL) or identification card (ID) for the first time or moving to Kansas from another state? Replacing a lost or stolen DL or ID card? Or do you need to renew your current Kansas DL or ID card?
Follow this checklist to ensure your application process goes as smoothly as possible.
Document requirements vary, we have included what you need for different situations.
Build a personal list and collect original versions of the docu- ments you will need to present to comply with Kansas’ identifi- cation requirements. This will make your visit more efficient.
Before you visit the office:
- Verify you have all the correct documents.
- Make sure your documents are originals. Faxed, photo-copied, electronic or laminated copies of documents will not be accepted.
- Remember, non-U.S. citizens must be processed through the System Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE).
- If you have questions not answered in this document, check www.ksrevenue.org or call the Kansas Division of Vehicles’ information line at 785-296-3963.
You can print our portable checklist to make sure you have all the required documents when you come to the driver's licensing office.
Documents Required For A Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver ID Card
When applying for any original Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver identification card (Credentials), you must present documents of:
- One document from List A
- One document from List D
- If you are younger than 16, you need to have a parent or guardian present with photo identification
- Provide two proofs of Kansas residency from List C
- If Driver’s Education has been completed, bring in the completion form.
- If your name is not the same on all your documents, provide a document from List F proving your legal name change
Non-U.S. Citizens must be processed through the System Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE) prior to application for Credentials. Documents are subject to DLFS review and approval. Additional information may be required. The DLFS will retain images or copies of any document presented. In some cases, document approval may not occur on the same day and may require an additional visit. For information on obtaining birth certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees, visit http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm.
List A – US Citizen
These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status as a U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.
- Certified birth certificate filed with an office of vital statistics or equivalent agency from your birth state, a U.S. territory or the District of Columbia
- An unexpired U.S. Passport or passport card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
List B – Non-US Citizen
These documents show your date of birth, identity and lawful status or presence as a non-U.S. citizen. If possible, select a document that has your current full legal name to avoid documenting any name change.
- Valid Permanent Resident Card
- Valid Employment Authorization Card
- Valid I-94 (i.e. Asylee/Refugee)
- Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. entry marking and/or documentation
Note: Certain classifications must also be accompanied by additional documentation, for example:
- F-1's and M-1's must be accompanied by I-20
- J-1's and J-2's must be accompanied by a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor, DS2019
- For non-U.S. citizen applicants, the Examiner will need documentation sufficient to initiate and complete a SAVE verification
For more information visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: www.uscis.gov.
List C – Kansas Residency
These documents establish your Kansas residency and residential address. You must present a document that shows your current name and Kansas residential ad- dress. A P.O. Box will not be accepted as proof or resident address.
A minor child’s parent, step-parent or legal guardian can provide their proof of address along with identification.
If you reside with someone and do not have a proof of address included in this list, the individual with whom you reside can accompany you to the office and provide two proofs of address along with their identification and complete a certification of address at the station.
- Kansas DL or ID renewal postcard
- Current Kansas vehicle registration or title
- Utility bill or equivalent no more than two months old
- Financial institution such as a bank statement, deed or mortgage
- Rent or lease agreement
- Kansas Voter Registration Card
- Current auto, life or homeowners insurance bill with applicant’s name and address
- Current educational transcript/school grade card
- Current professional license by a U.S. agency
- Current W-2 or 1099
- Mail from a federal, state, county or city agency
- Department of Corrections Certificate of Identification
Note: A post office box address will not be accepted for address of principal residence.
Note: Proof of residential address may be established by a minor applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides along with a copy of the DE-56a, which must be completed by the parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides. DE-56a forms are available at all Kansas driver licensing offices.
List D – Social Security Number
You will need one document that contains your current name and Social Security number.
You may find your Social Security Number on the following documents
- Social Security card with your current full name
- Current W-2 or 1099
- Current pay stub with Social Security number
- A SSN is not necessary for temporary driver's license applicants with non-work status
Note: A SSN is not necessary for temporary driver's license applicants with non work status.
Note: * If you do not have a social security number, you must provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. (See List B)
List E – Replacement ID or DL
If you need a replacement DL or ID card, you may use any of these documents as additional identification.
- Military ID, military dependent ID, military common access card or DD-214
- Medical health card or records
- Photo DL or ID card issued by Kansas or any state that has not been expired for more than a year
- Student or employee ID card with photo
- Immunization records
- Federal or state income tax return bearing your signature
- A copy of any federal or state income tax return bearing the signature of the applicant or his/her representative
List F – Name Change
If you have legally changed your name, these documents will help connect your former name to your current name. The documents must be certified original copies.
- Government issued marriage certificate
- Divorce Decree—Name Restored as
- Court Order of Adoption
- Court Order of Legal Name Change
Note: Due to Federal requirements, Military IDs and Military Common Access Cards shall be relied upon for replacement purposes only and will not be scanned or copied by the Examiner.