Driver's License Proof of Identity

You can print our portable checklist to make sure you have all the required documents when you come to the driver's licensing office.

Documents Required For A Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver ID Card

When applying for any original Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver identification card (Credentials), you must present documents of:

  • Identity (name and date of birth) (Section A);
  • Lawful Status in the United States (Section A);
  • Kansas residency (Section B);
  • Proof of Valid Social Security Number *

To Ensure That Your Application Process Is As Smooth As Possible, Remember:

Verify you have all the correct documents before visiting a DLFS branch. Check Documents must be original or certified copies. Faxed or photocopied documents will not be accepted. When applying for renewal of a Credential, you must provide one item from Section B and your existing credential. If you do not have your existing credential with matching address, the examiner may review the DLFS system record to confirm consistency of current address.

Non-U.S. Citizens must be processed through the System Alien Verification for Entitlement (SAVE) prior to application for Credentials. Documents are subject to DLFS review and approval. Additional information may be required. The DLFS will retain images or copies of any document presented. In some cases, document approval may not occur on the same day and may require an additional visit. For information on obtaining birth certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees, visit


Present ONE original document to establish identity/lawful presence. More than ONE document may be required.

Section A

U.S. Citizen
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (state, county, or city), including U.S. territories, and District of Columbia
  • Unexpired United States Passport or Passport Card
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
Non-U.S. Citizen
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with required U.S. entry markings and/or documentation
  • Valid I-94 (i.e. Asylee/Refugee)
  • Refugee Travel Document

Note: Certain classifications must also be accompanied by additional documentation, for example:

  • F-1's and M-1's must be accompanied by I-20
  • J-1's and J-2's must be accompanied by a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor, DS2019
  • For non-U.S. citizen applicants, the Examiner will need documentation sufficient to initiate and complete a SAVE verification


Present TWO original documents to estab-lish residency for original applications. Present ONE document for renewals.

Section B

  • Kansas Renewal Notice/Postcard
  • Current Kansas Vehicle Registration or Vehicle Title
  • Utility Bill or equivalent notice, not more than two months old
  • Mail from a financial institution (i.e. monthly bank statement)
  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, residential rental/lease agreement
  • Kansas Voter Registration Card
  • Current automobile, life or homeowners bill that includes the name and address of the applicant
  • Educational institution transcript forms or grade cards for current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 Form, 1099 Form, or similar notice from employer, not more than 12 months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City Government agencies
  • Letter from social welfare institution
  • Identification certificate issued by the department of corrections to an offender

Note: A post office box address will not be accepted for address of principal residence.

Note: Proof of residential address may be established by a minor applicant's parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides along with a copy of the DE-56a, which must be completed by the parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom the applicant resides. DE-56a forms are available at all Kansas driver licensing offices.


Please provide proof of your Social Security Number to the Examiner.

Section C

You may find your Social Security Number on the following documents

  • Social Security Card showing current full name
  • Current W-2 Form
  • Current 1099 Form
  • Current paystub with applicant's name and Social Security number on it

Note: A SSN is not necessary for temporary driver's license applicants with non work status.

Note: * If you do not have a social security number, you must provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S. (See Section A)


Present ONE original document to establish name change.

Section E

Change of Name

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court Order of Adoption
  • Court order of legal name change

Note: Documents must be original or certified copies


Present TWO documents for a re-placement driver's license or ID card.

Section D

For a replacement Credential, you must present documents required by this Section:

  • Photo DL or ID previously issued by Kansas or any other state not expired for more than one year
  • Military ID, dependent identification or CAC card, or military discharge papers i.e. D.D. 214
  • Medicare identification card
  • Student or employee identification card with photo
  • The division may waive the furnishing of one of the documents in the case of a person who is 65 or more years of age
  • A document listed in Section A
  • A copy of any federal or state income tax return bearing the signature of the applicant or his/her representative

Note: Additional authorized documents may be used in accordance with K.S.A 8-1326 and 8-246

Note: Due to Federal requirements, Military IDs and Military Common Access Cards shall be relied upon for replacement purposes only and will not be scanned or copied by the Examiner.

Back to the main Motor Vehicles page