Driver's License Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a link below to go directly to that section.

Provide acceptable proof of identity, pass a vision test, motorcycle written test, and a skill test on a motorcycle, or complete an approved motorcycle driver’s education course. For a list of approved schools you may call the Kansas Department of Education at 785-296-8107 or obtain a list on their website.

Provide acceptable proof of identity, pass a vision test and written test.

Every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has - a motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower; a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters; an automatic transmission; and the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour. Your local county treasurer will classify your motorcycle or motorized bicycle when you obtain your vehicle tag. For driver's license testing purposes, the vehicle tag will be the determining factor.

Yes. There are no exceptions.

No, online courses do not meet the requirements for a driver's license in Kansas. The only programs that are approved by the Kansas for driver’s education purposes are programs offered through a local, accredited school district which have been approved by the Kansas Department of Education. Please note: a certificate of completion from an online driver’s education course will not be accepted for licensure. If you are unsure whether or not a program has been approved bu the Kansas Department of Education you may contact the Department of Education at 785-296-8107 or the Kansas Division of Vehicles at 785-296-3671.

Visit for more information.

Visit for more information.

Only active duty military members and their dependents stationed outside of Kansas can obtain a license with a corrected name by mail. You must send us a photocopy of the legal document changing your name. Visit for more information.

You have 90 days after establishing residency.

  • File a police report immediately. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward the initiation of an investigation. Obtain a case number.
  • Immediately call all of your creditors. Request replacement credit cards with new account numbers. Ask that your old accounts be flagged with a “fraud alert” notice.
  • Call the three national credit reporting organizations' fraud hotlines immediately, to place a "fraud alert" on your name and Social Security number. The alert initiates measures to prevent any further fraudulent activity. Any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and the company is instructed to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. Records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases are documented. Your name is removed from further offers of credit.

    National Credit Reporting Organizations' Fraud Hot Lines:
    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
    Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
    Social Security Administration: 1-800-269-0271

  • Victims of Identity Theft should also contact the Federal Trade Commission: Toll free number: 877-FTC-HELP 877-382-4357 or TDD 202-326-2502.
  • Notify your bank(s) of the theft. Cancel your old accounts and obtain new bank accounts. If you use an ATM card for banking services, request a new card and password/pin number. Memorize your password/pin number and do not record this information on any property contained in your wallet.
  • If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to TeleCheck, National Processing Companies, and Equifax.

    TeleCheck: 1-800-571-2143
    Equifax: 1-800-437-5120
    National Processing Co.: 1-800-526-5380
    National Check Fraud Center: 1-843-571-2143
    Chexsystems: 1-800-710-9898
    CheckRite: 1-800-766-2748

  • If you suspect mail theft, notify your local postal inspector by calling 816-502-0400 and request a Mail Theft/Vandalism Complaint Form (PS 2016). For additional information, check the US Postal Inspection Service website:
  • Go to the nearest driver's license examination station to report a stolen driver's license and to obtain a duplicate license.
  • Keep a record of all the steps you take. Always ask for the name of the person you are talking to at any law enforcement agency, credit reporting company, or driver's license office.

The Kansas Legislature authorized the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to provide Safety Communication Visors for vehicles regularly driven by persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. The purpose of the visor is to help law enforcement officers or emergency response personnel to quickly identify drivers who are deaf or hard of hearing and may have special communication needs. There is a fee of $5 per visor.

**The driver’s license offices also offer a white background on driver's licenses and identification cards which indicates hearing impaired to law enforcement.

To obtain a visor application or more information on the Safety Communication Visor Program, contact the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 800-432-0698 (voice/TTY) or 785-267-6100 (voice/TTY) or visit the website at

During the 2003 legislative session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill requiring that an individual could hold either a valid Kansas driver’s license or a valid Kansas ID card, but not both.

Back to top

During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that the Social Security number must be collected from everyone that applies for a driver’s license or ID card. This law became effective July 1, 2003.

No, you can't use it as your license number as of July 1, 2004, but we do have to collect it and have it on our records. During the 2004 legislative session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill saying we could no longer use the Social Security number as a driver's license number.

Yes, based on legislation passed by the 2003 Kansas Legislature, we will be verifying all SSN’s with the Social Security Department before a driver’s license or ID card will be issued.

No. Once it has been verified with the Social Security Administration we will no longer ask you for it.

Back to top

During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that we send the Selective Service System information on all male applicants that are at least 16 years of age, but less than 26. This law became effective July 1, 2003.

We are required to do so by law; however, the Selective Service System will not do anything with the information until you turn 18.

It will be sent to the Selective Service System and appropriate registration action will be taken, or no action if you are already registered.

Back to top

Answers to these questions can be found at:

Answers to these questions can be found at:

Present the Death Certificate or the Obituary Notice in person or by mail to a local driver license office, along with the credential, and the record will be updated accordingly.

Back to top