Frequently Asked Questions About Driver's License

Driver's License

What are the special handling procedures for applicants under the age of 21?
Visit our page containing Under 21 License Information.

How do I add Motorcycle to my driver’s license?
Provide acceptable proof of identity. Pass a vision test, motorcycle written test, and a skill test on a cycle, or complete an approved motorcycle Driver’s Education course. For a list of approved schools you may contact the Dept of Education at 785-296-8107 or obtain a list on their website.

How do I get a license to operate a Motorized bicycle (Moped)?
Provide acceptable proof of identity. Pass a vision test and written test.

What is considered a Motorized Bicycle (Moped)?
Every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has - A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower; a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters; an automatic transmission; and the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour. Your local County Treasurer will classify your motorcycle or motorized bicycle when your vehicle tag is obtained. For Driver's License testing purposes, the vehicle tag will be the determining factor.

Do I have to complete an approved Drive Education course to get an age-restricted license?
Yes. There are no exceptions.

Does Kansas recognize online Driver Education courses?
There are many online Driver Education courses being offered over the Internet. Internet courses do not meet requirements for a Driver's License in Kansas. The only programs that are approved by the State of Kansas for Driver Education purposes are programs offered through a local, accredited school district which have been approved by the Department of Education. Please note: a certificate of completion from an Internet Driver Education course will not be accepted for licensure. If unsure whether or not a program has been approved by the Department of Education you may contact the Department of Education at 785-296-8107 or the Kansas Division of Vehicles at 785-296-3963 or by email at:

My license is expiring and I’m out of state, but I’m not active military or military dependent. Is there anything I can do by mail?
Visit for more information.

I’m out of state and my Kansas license has been lost or stolen. What can I do to replace it by mail?
Visit for more information.

I’m out of state and have changed my name. How do I get a corrected Kansas license?
Only active duty military members and their dependents stationed outside of Kansas can obtain a license with a corrected name by mail. You must send us a photocopy of the legal document changing your name. Visit for more information.

I have a valid license from another state, and will be moving to Kansas soon. What do I have to do to get a Kansas driver’s license?
Refer to this page for licensing requirements.

I just moved to Kansas from another state. How long do I have to trade my out of state license for a Kansas driver’s license?
You have 90 days after establishing residency.

What do I do if my wallet is stolen?

  • File a police report immediately. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward the initiation of an investigation. Obtain a case number.
  • Immediately call all of your creditors. Request replacement credit cards with new account numbers. Ask that your old accounts be flagged with a “fraud alert” notice.
  • Call the three national credit reporting organizations' fraud hotlines immediately, to place a "fraud alert" on your name and Social Security number. The alert initiates measures to prevent any further fraudulent activity. Any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and the company is instructed to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. Records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases are documented. Your name is removed from further offers of credit.

    National Credit Reporting Organizations' Fraud Hot Lines:
    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
    Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
    Social Security Administration: 1-800-269-0271

  • Victims of Identity Theft should also contact the Federal Trade Commission:
    Toll free number: 877-FTC-HELP 877-382-4357
    TDD 202-326-2502
  • Notify your bank(s) of the theft. Cancel your old accounts and obtain new bank accounts. If you use an ATM card for banking services, request a new card and password/pin number. Memorize your password/pin number and do not record this information on any property contained in your wallet.
  • If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to TeleCheck, National Processing Companies, and Equifax.

    TeleCheck: 1-800-571-2143
    Equifax: 1-800-437-5120
    National Processing Co.: 1-800-526-5380
    National Check Fraud Center: 1-843-571-2143
    Chexsystems: 1-800-710-9898
    CheckRite: 1-800-766-2748
  • Notify your local Postal Inspector 816-502-0400, if you suspect mail theft and request a Mail Theft/Vandalism Complaint Form, PS 2016. For additional information, check the US Postal Inspection Service website:
  • Go to the nearest Driver's License Examination Station to report a stolen driver's license and to obtain a duplicate license.
  • Keep a record of all the steps you take. Always ask for the name of the person you are talking to at any law enforcement agency, credit reporting company, or driver's license office.

What happens when the driver can't hear?
The Kansas Legislature authorized the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to provide Safety Communication Visors for vehicles regularly driven by persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. The purpose of the visor is to help law enforcement officers or emergency response personnel to quickly identify drivers who are deaf or hard of hearing and may have special communication needs. There is a fee of $5 per visor.

To obtain a visor application or more information on the Safety Communication Visor Program, contact KCDHH at 800-432-0698 Voice/TTY or 785-267-6100 Voice/TTY.


Collection of Social Security Number

I’m not a CDL driver, so why do I have to give you my Social Security number?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that the Social Security number must be collected from everyone that applies for a driver’s license or ID card. This law became effective July 1, 2003.

Do I have to use it as my license number?
No, you can't use it as your license number as of July 1, 2004, but we do have to collect it and have it on our records. During the 2004 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill saying we could no longer use the Social Security Number as a driver's license number.

Will you be verifying the number I give you?
Yes, based on legislation passed by the 2003 Kansas Legislature, we will be verifying all SSN’s with the Social Security Department before a driver’s license or ID card will be issued.

Do I have to give you my number every time I come in?
Once it has been verified with the Social Security Administration, we will no longer ask you for it.

Selective Service Registration

I’m a 21 year old male. Why do I have to consent to you sending my information to the Selective Service System?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that we send the Selective Service System information on all male applicants that are at least 16 years of age, but less than 26, applying ’s license or ID card. This law became effective July 1, 2003.

I’m only 16. I’m not required to register with the selective service system until my 18th birthday. Why are you sending my information to them?
We are required to do so by law, however the selective service system will not do anything with the information until you turn 18.

I already registered with the selective service system, or am currently in the military, what will be done with my information?
It will be sent to the Selective Service System and appropriate registration action will be taken, or no action if you are already registered.

Holding Both a driver’s license and an ID card no longer allowed.

I have a valid ID card. When I went in to renew my driver’s license I was told I had to surrender my ID. Why?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that an individual could hold either a valid Kansas driver’s license or a valid Kansas ID card, but not both.

Miscellaneous Questions

I need information on seatbelt law and/or child safety restraints.
Answers to these questions can be found at:

We live in another state and will be traveling through Kansas by car. Can my child drive with his or her restricted license or learners permit?
Answers to these questions can be found at: http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.orgm.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions