Tax Clearance Request Information
What is a Tax Clearance?
A Certificate of Tax Clearance is a comprehensive review to determine and ensure that the applicant account is in current compliance with all applicable
- Kansas tax laws administered by the director of taxation within the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- Taxes/fees/payments administered by the Kansas Department of Labor.
- Other various fees/charges administered by Kansas state agencies.
The status of, and information pertaining to a tax clearance is subject to change(s), which may arise as a result of a State Tax Audit, Federal Revenue Agent Report, or other lawful adjustment(s).
A State Tax Clearance should not be confused with a Letter of Good Standing which is an unrelated document issued by the Kansas Secretary of State's office.
Additional Tax Clearance Information
Obtain a State of Kansas Tax Clearance
- Request Online - Click here to complete an application through our secure website, retrieve your certificate, or verify the validity of a "Certificate of Tax Clearance"
For applications entered prior to 5:00 p.m. Mon. - Fri., results will typically be available the following business day. Applications for business and individual tax clearances are available.
- Fax or mail in - If you would prefer to fax or mail your application to the Kansas Department of Revenue, use Tax Clearance Form CM-20. The mailing address and fax number are on the form.
For applications entered prior to 5:00 p.m. Mon. - Fri., a response is typically sent out within two business days. The Kansas Department of Revenue cannot guarantee mail delivery times.
- Special Event Tax Clearance - If you are required to obtain a tax clearance for participation in a Special Event (fairs, racing events, shows, etc.) please complete Form CM-21 and fax or mail it to the address or number provided on the form.
- Tax clearance requests may be denied if the request is incomplete or incorrect information provided.
- All tax clearance requests must be submitted using the online application, Form CM-20, or if applying for a Special Events tax clearance, Form CM-21.
- If you are unable to print the Kansas Department of Revenue tax clearance forms CM-20 or CM-21 (Adobe Acrobat required), you can request a copy of the forms by calling 785-296-3199.
Tax Clearance information will only be released to the following:
- The individual taxpayer themselves
- An individual who has notarized authorization from the taxpayer to request and receive tax information. (Please provide a copy. Cannot use online application.)
- An individual who has statutory authority or legal power of attorney to request and receive tax information for the taxpayer. (Please provide a copy. Cannot use online application.)
- Power of Attorney Form
- The business owner
- A corporate officer, office manager, or other appointed official of the company
- An individual who has notarized authorization from the business owner or officer to request and receive tax information. (Please provide a copy. Cannot use online application.)
- An individual who has statutory authority or legal power of attorney to request and receive tax information on behalf of the business. (Please provide a copy. Cannot use online application.)
Tax clearance requests (Form CM-20) can be mailed or faxed to:
- Fax: 785-296-3655
- Mail: Kansas Department of Revenue
Business Intelligence Team
Docking State Office Building - Room 381
915 SW Harrison St
Topeka, KS 66625-2007
Any additional questions can be directed to:
- Email: Tax.Clearance@kdor.ks.gov
- Phone: Collections-Special Projects at 785-296-3199