Welcome to the Kansas Charitable Gaming website
House Bill 2155 creates the Kansas Charitable Gaming Act. Specific changes have been made to charitable bingo laws, as well as the purpose, regulation, licensure, taxation, and enforcement of charitable raffles as proposed by the bill. Charitable bingo is also included in this bill.
The changes for raffles came about because of a constitutional amendment that was approved by the voters of Kansas in November 2015. See more raffle information here.
Fee schedule for charitable gaming licenses
Bingo = $25 per year
Raffle = Nonprofit organization where annual gross receipts:
- are more than $25,000 but do not exceed $50,000 shall pay a license fee of $25.
- exceed $50,000 but do not exceed $75,000 shall pay a license fee of $50.
- exceed $75,000 but do not exceed $100,000 shall pay a license fee of $75.
- exceed $100,000 shall pay a fee of $100.
Renewals for all charitable gaming licenses are the same as the original license.
All charitable gaming licenses expire annually on June 30.
Gambling - Three components determine gambling. Consideration is given. That means something is given and something is received. Participation in a game of chance. A prize is awarded.
Gross receipts - The number of tickets to be sold multiplied by the selling price of a single ticket. Each ticket shall be calculated at its individual selling price before any tickets are discounted. All charitable raffles conducted within a licensing period shall be considered when determining gross receipts.
Licensing period - Calendar periods of July 1 through June 30
Who Needs A Bingo License?
- Kansas law permits non-profit religious, educational, charitable, and fraternal and veterans organizations to conduct bingo games in which the players are charged for participation if the organization first obtains a bingo license from the Kansas Department of Revenue. No license is required if a bingo game sponsor offers free bingo games or merely encourages a voluntary contribution. Bingo licenses cost $25 and are good for 12 months commencing on July 1 of each year.
- Kansas law requires that any person or business which leases facilities or premises to an organization for the conduct of bingo games on a daily basis or charges rent based upon the organization's revenue from bingo games must be registered and is subject to various restrictions. Bingo premises registration certificates cost $100 and are good for twelve months commencing on July 1 of each year.
- Kansas law also requires that any person or business which sells disposable paper bingo faces or pull-tabs to an organization with a bingo license must be registered and is subject to various restrictions. Bingo premises registration certificates cost $500 and are good for twelve months commencing on July 1 of each year. A one-time cash bond of $1,000 is also required.
Bingo Job Aides: How to file on line
- Bingo webtax registration
- Linking an existing bingo account to a webtax login
- Filing a organization's monthly bingo report in webtax
Administrator of Charitable Gaming
Docking State Office Building
915 SW Harrison Street
Topeka, KS 66625-3512
Persons wanting to meet with the administrator should make an appointment, since the administrator is often away from the office visiting bingo games.
Licensed organizations, premises and distributors in Kansas
- Raffle License Application
- Beneficiary Organization to Assist with Bingo
- Bingo Handbook currently being updated
- Change of Play Form
- Daily Record
- Distributor's Monthly Tax Return (BI-4)
- Initial Application for Bingo License (BI-60)
- Initial Application for Registration of Bingo Distributor (BI-158)
- Initial Application for Registration of Bingo Premises (BI-148)
- Organization change of officers, directors, officials or persons employed on bingo premises (BI-66)
- Organization's Monthly Report (BI-1)
- Report of Organization Trust Account (BI-56)
- Renewal Application for Bingo Distributors (BI-178)
- Renewal Application for Bingo Organizations (BI-160)
- Renewal Application for Bingo Premises (BI-168)